UK Freshwater Invertebrate Society Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE UK'S 1ST OFFICIAL FRESHWATER INVERTEBRATE SOCIETY ~ FOUNDED JANUARY 2009

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Portsmouth AS - OPEN FISH SHOW 2013
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:57 am by bungy

» Green Energy
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 pm by Brian950

» Alternative
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm by Brian950

» Looking for green shrimp
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 am by andy36263

» High grade Red Cherry Shrimp - Sakura/Fire Red
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:37 am by bungy

» Looking for Coloured Apple Snails, Briggs
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 am by avaraven

» Shrimp 'Farm' Help
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am by bungy

» Looking for nerites and cherry shrimp
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 am by jecra

» Invertebrate survey on lentic and lotic waters.
keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 am by joe_a

Navigation

Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search 

Snail Shop

Top posters
Megalodonmad
keeping sulewesi shrimp Vote_lcapkeeping sulewesi shrimp Voting_barkeeping sulewesi shrimp Vote_rcap 
Severum Boy
keeping sulewesi shrimp Vote_lcapkeeping sulewesi shrimp Voting_barkeeping sulewesi shrimp Vote_rcap 
Mister_X
jonboy8465
Kin
mr. luke
Kevin
Ceretrea
Corydoras seracin
three-fingers
Statistics
We have 157 registered users
The newest registered user is Brian950

Our users have posted a total of 454 messages in 129 subjects

keeping sulewesi shrimp

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
john starkey
Hatchling
Hatchling

Male Number of posts : 1
Activity Points : 5545
Registration date : 2009-01-22

keeping sulewesi shrimp Empty
PostSubject: keeping sulewesi shrimp   keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 am

Hi All,i am looking to try and keep some sulewesi shrimp in my planted setup soon,can someone please tell me their requirments to keep them happy,regards john
Back to top Go down
Severum Boy
Severum Boy

Male Number of posts : 52
Activity Points : 5569
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: keeping sulewesi shrimp   keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 am

Have you got a scientific name for the species? A lot of shrimp come from Sulewesi.
Back to top Go down
flatfish22
Hatchling
Hatchling
flatfish22

Number of posts : 6
Activity Points : 5547
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: keeping sulewesi shrimp   keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:59 am

Hi John,
The most easy Sulawesi shrimp to keep seem to be the Cardinal shrimp and some claim to have bred F1 generations. Sometimes the females arrive pregnant from shipments so i dont know if the F1 stock are actually from mated captive stock, or from the imported females. I have yet to hear a geniune account of captive breeding so am still sceptical about their care in captivity. Most people claim that they require a high pH 7.5-8.0 and a high temp to match 28 degrees. I have also read that some people have had success in keeping them at lower pH levels and temp. The high pH and temp makes water quality issues more difficult as ammonia is extremely toxic at high pH and temp. I have tried to research the data of the Sulawesi lakes which has so far not given me much in terms of info on natural habitat. Avoid spongicola at all costs though as this species is dependent on a sponge found in the lake for survival (its feeds on micro-organisms only found in the sponge.)
So Cardinal shrimp are your best bet...but info on how to keep them is still pretty poor. Sad Perhaps waiting a little longer may iron out the water quality issues and increase your chances of success when you do eventually get some. Also i might add that all sulawesi shrimp are wild caught and currently this is causing a massive reduction in their natural population as locals know they command a good price. Perhaps its worth waiting until F1 stock are available for sale? Hope this helps! Smile
Back to top Go down
mr. luke
mr. luke

Male Number of posts : 17
Activity Points : 5474
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: keeping sulewesi shrimp   keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 8:49 am

It is now belived that shrimps from the sulawesi region need a low kh+gh (2dgh) with a high ph (7.8-8.2) and medium temperature of around 25, despite the origional info stating that they need high gh,kh and temperatures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: keeping sulewesi shrimp   keeping sulewesi shrimp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

keeping sulewesi shrimp
Page 1 of 1