UK Freshwater Invertebrate Society Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE UK'S 1ST OFFICIAL FRESHWATER INVERTEBRATE SOCIETY ~ FOUNDED JANUARY 2009

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Portsmouth AS - OPEN FISH SHOW 2013
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:57 am by bungy

» Green Energy
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 pm by Brian950

» Alternative
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm by Brian950

» Looking for green shrimp
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 am by andy36263

» High grade Red Cherry Shrimp - Sakura/Fire Red
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:37 am by bungy

» Looking for Coloured Apple Snails, Briggs
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 am by avaraven

» Shrimp 'Farm' Help
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am by bungy

» Looking for nerites and cherry shrimp
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 am by jecra

» Invertebrate survey on lentic and lotic waters.
Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 am by joe_a

Navigation

Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search 

Snail Shop

Top posters
Megalodonmad
Some of the Crab's I keep Vote_lcapSome of the Crab's I keep Voting_barSome of the Crab's I keep Vote_rcap 
Severum Boy
Some of the Crab's I keep Vote_lcapSome of the Crab's I keep Voting_barSome of the Crab's I keep Vote_rcap 
Mister_X
jonboy8465
Kin
mr. luke
Kevin
Ceretrea
Corydoras seracin
three-fingers
Statistics
We have 157 registered users
The newest registered user is Brian950

Our users have posted a total of 454 messages in 129 subjects

Some of the Crab's I keep

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kevin
Hatchling
Hatchling

Male Number of posts : 16
Activity Points : 5550
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Some of the Crab's I keep Empty
PostSubject: Some of the Crab's I keep   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:33 am

Hi, Im Kevin, from South Wales. I keep a few different species of freshwater invertebrates, mainly crab species. I'll be keeping quite a few more by the summer hopefully. Heres are the species I currently keep,

Some of the Crab's I keep Indiancrab3

Potamidae sp. India - I have one adult female of this species, I hope to get more of them in the spring

Some of the Crab's I keep Bigrainbowcrab2

Cardisoma armatum - I have one of these, he's currently around 18cm or so, and at least 6 years old, possibly much older.

Some of the Crab's I keep Indiacrab

Oziothelphusa or Spiralothelphusa sp - I have one adult male of this species, I should have more this spring though hopefully.

Some of the Crab's I keep Vampirecrab2

Geosesarma sp. vampire - I have 6 adult crabs, and at least 10 cb juvenile's, probably many more since they burrow and have plenty of hiding places.

Some of the Crab's I keep Metasesarma5

Metasesarma aubryi - I have a male/female pair of these, unfortunatly though they are difficult to breed in captivity, as the young need brackish water to develop, though the adults are freshwater and spend most of their time on land.
Back to top Go down
Melsorpar
Hatchling
Hatchling

Female Number of posts : 6
Activity Points : 5547
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Some of the Crab's I keep   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Do you keep them in separate tanks?
I have a rainbow crab, I used to have two but one died shedding his shell about three years ago. The place where I buy them advised not to put another one in the tank as they fight.
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Some of the Crab's I keep   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Melsorpar wrote:
Do you keep them in separate tanks?
I have a rainbow crab, I used to have two but one died shedding his shell about three years ago. The place where I buy them advised not to put another one in the tank as they fight.

They are kept by species, the Metasesarma aubryi are ok to be kept together, and also the vampire crabs. The two Indian species should also be ok in small groups, but rainbow crabs are territorial and will eventually fight ive found.
Back to top Go down
flatfish22
Hatchling
Hatchling
flatfish22

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: Some of the Crab's I keep   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 4:21 pm

affraid wOW, your crabs are amazing!

I didnt know you could breed crabs in captivity! I love the Geosesarma sp. vampire -crabs that you have. What conditions do you provide so that they breed. Do they have a larval stage? How do you rear them? alien
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Some of the Crab's I keep   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:09 am

flatfish22 wrote:
affraid wOW, your crabs are amazing!

I didnt know you could breed crabs in captivity! I love the Geosesarma sp. vampire -crabs that you have. What conditions do you provide so that they breed. Do they have a larval stage? How do you rear them? alien

I keep them in a heated, fairly humid tank, 2/3 land, 1/3 water, that is fairly shallow. They have pieces of bogwood and mopani wood to hide amongst. The females carry the eggs, the young are born as tiny crabs.

My Potamidae sp and Oziothelphusa or Spiralothelphusa are also true freshwater, so can be bred in captivity without brackish or saltwater.
Back to top Go down
flatfish22
Hatchling
Hatchling
flatfish22

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: Some of the Crab's I keep   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:41 am

Thats really interesting Kevin thanks for the info. What do you feed them on? How long do they live for in captivity and how long have you kept them for? Any further info would great. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Some of the Crab's I keep   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:42 am

flatfish22 wrote:
Thats really interesting Kevin thanks for the info. What do you feed them on? How long do they live for in captivity and how long have you kept them for? Any further info would great. Laughing

I feed my ones mainly crushed aquarian, hikari crab cuisine and crushed sinking catfish pellets. Ive kept them since January last year, apparantly they live several years, but it wouldnt be known yet, since theyve only been kept since around 2007 I think.

Theres some info on them here,

http://www.panzerwelten.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=711
Back to top Go down
Megalodonmad
Admin
Admin
Megalodonmad

Female Number of posts : 77
Activity Points : 5612
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Metasesarma aubryi   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:43 am

Hi Kevin,
Just wondered if you wanted my Metasesarma aubryi for your collection? I wouldnt want anything for it, just £3.49 for postage. I'm still not sure of its sex. Its healthy and active. If so, please email me ukfish@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some of the Crab's I keep   Some of the Crab's I keep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some of the Crab's I keep
Page 1 of 1