UK Freshwater Invertebrate Society Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE UK'S 1ST OFFICIAL FRESHWATER INVERTEBRATE SOCIETY ~ FOUNDED JANUARY 2009

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Portsmouth AS - OPEN FISH SHOW 2013
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:57 am by bungy

» Green Energy
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 pm by Brian950

» Alternative
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm by Brian950

» Looking for green shrimp
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 am by andy36263

» High grade Red Cherry Shrimp - Sakura/Fire Red
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:37 am by bungy

» Looking for Coloured Apple Snails, Briggs
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 am by avaraven

» Shrimp 'Farm' Help
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am by bungy

» Looking for nerites and cherry shrimp
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 am by jecra

» Invertebrate survey on lentic and lotic waters.
Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 am by joe_a

Navigation

Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search 

Snail Shop

Top posters
Megalodonmad
Moving house with snails Vote_lcapMoving house with snails Voting_barMoving house with snails Vote_rcap 
Severum Boy
Moving house with snails Vote_lcapMoving house with snails Voting_barMoving house with snails Vote_rcap 
Mister_X
jonboy8465
Kin
mr. luke
Kevin
Ceretrea
Corydoras seracin
three-fingers
Statistics
We have 157 registered users
The newest registered user is Brian950

Our users have posted a total of 454 messages in 129 subjects

Moving house with snails

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Starcrazy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 5
Activity Points : 5546
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Moving house with snails Empty
PostSubject: Moving house with snails   Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Wonder if anyone can advise me of the best way to go about this - I've never moved with snails or fish before, and am a bit worried about getting them across the country when we move house in a couple of weeks.
I think I understand that apple snails can be pretty sensitive to water changes, temperature changes and the like - one of my old snails died straight after I changed too much water at once, a young one died in the cold snap over christmas and two of my remaining snails are also quite old so I'm worried about shocking them... plus one of them has hardly any trap left, so wont be able to close herself up tight to stay waterproof while she's travelling so I'm not sure how to transport her.
Our tank is only small, 5 gallons, but obviously we cant carry it or drive it around full of water and I don't know if its okay to just fill it back up with bottled water when we get there. Anyone know how this usually works best?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Severum Boy
Severum Boy

Male Number of posts : 52
Activity Points : 5568
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Moving house with snails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving house with snails   Moving house with snails Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm

Ok, best thing to do if about 3 days before you need to pack the aquarium away do a standard water change. Take as much of the water as you can in bottles (2ltr bottles will be best). Put the snails in a small tub with a lid along with some cotton wool/paper towels soaked in tank water. They will be happy like that for a day or two providing they are damp.
When you are in a position to fill the tank up again do so, let the water heat up and then pop the snails in.
Back to top Go down

Moving house with snails
Page 1 of 1