UK Freshwater Invertebrate Society Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE UK'S 1ST OFFICIAL FRESHWATER INVERTEBRATE SOCIETY ~ FOUNDED JANUARY 2009

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Portsmouth AS - OPEN FISH SHOW 2013
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:57 am by bungy

» Green Energy
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 pm by Brian950

» Alternative
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm by Brian950

» Looking for green shrimp
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 am by andy36263

» High grade Red Cherry Shrimp - Sakura/Fire Red
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:37 am by bungy

» Looking for Coloured Apple Snails, Briggs
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 am by avaraven

» Shrimp 'Farm' Help
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am by bungy

» Looking for nerites and cherry shrimp
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 am by jecra

» Invertebrate survey on lentic and lotic waters.
Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 am by joe_a

Navigation

Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search 

Snail Shop

Top posters
Megalodonmad
Crayfish in a community tank ? Vote_lcapCrayfish in a community tank ? Voting_barCrayfish in a community tank ? Vote_rcap 
Severum Boy
Crayfish in a community tank ? Vote_lcapCrayfish in a community tank ? Voting_barCrayfish in a community tank ? Vote_rcap 
Mister_X
jonboy8465
Kin
mr. luke
Kevin
Ceretrea
Corydoras seracin
three-fingers
Statistics
We have 157 registered users
The newest registered user is Brian950

Our users have posted a total of 454 messages in 129 subjects

Crayfish in a community tank ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
midnight
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 4
Activity Points : 5577
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Crayfish in a community tank ? Empty
PostSubject: Crayfish in a community tank ?   Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi People , Loving the look of the place , very easy to navigate !
Found you from the snail shop email i got advertising you .

Anyways , I've 4 tanks of tropicals & in my newly acquired 4ft tank i'm quite taken with the idea of adding a blue crayfish/lobster
but can't seem to find enough info on how they would go in a community tank.
They would be along side a common plec, syno nigraventis as the only bottom feeders, The other fish would be a rtb shark & various mollies, platys, tetras, zebra loach & the likes, I'm just wondering what the chances are of the crayfish eating my other fish, Are they ok
in community tanks as sold in some pet shops or are they meant to be in crayfish only tanks?
Tank is 48" long, 18" high & 15 " wide .

Thankyou for any advice given.
Back to top Go down
Severum Boy
Severum Boy

Male Number of posts : 52
Activity Points : 5599

PostSubject: Re: Crayfish in a community tank ?   Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 1:26 pm

The chances of the crayfish eating at least some of your fish are very very very high.Crayfish are not suitable for communitiy tanks, they will find a way to catch all edible fish. They might be alright with the plec assuming it is large, but the other fish would be at risk of being eaten.
Back to top Go down
ballpc
Hatchling
Hatchling
ballpc

Male Number of posts : 3
Activity Points : 5559
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Crayfish in a community tank ?   Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 3:07 am

Hi midnight!

It really depends on the cray...

Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp. Orange is a very attractive and most sought after dwarf crayfish. They get to be about 1 1/2" in length and will not eat live aquatic plants or disturb your substrate. They can be kept with dwarf shrimp and fish without problems.

Dennis
Back to top Go down
Severum Boy
Severum Boy

Male Number of posts : 52
Activity Points : 5599

PostSubject: Re: Crayfish in a community tank ?   Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:32 am

The only trouble is that here in the UK, for very little reason, all crayfish species are banned apart from C. quadricarinatus, which makes it hard for people in the UK to try other species.
Back to top Go down
aquatech
Hatchling
Hatchling
aquatech

Male Number of posts : 1
Activity Points : 5553
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Crayfish in a community tank ?   Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 5:34 am

Hi midnight
I have been breeding C.quadicarinatus (blue crayfish) for three years I keep a large breeding pair in a tank the same size as yours. with three golden pleco one large lace tail cat and several platy.
If you keep them well fed with plenty low hideing places and a well planted bottom you will have no problem they feed constantly and prefer a vegetable diet they only trap fish when hungry I lost two platy one weekend when on holiday because my son forgot to feed them.
Mine feed and breed well on a diet of cucumber slices boiled lettuce and cat fish pellets the young are quickly eaten by both parents and fish when they become free swimming so if you want to keep some net them into a breeding trap.
Back to top Go down
minxy
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 1
Activity Points : 5535
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Crayfish in a community tank ?   Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:29 am

Hi there, I keep a 'blue lobster' in a community tank with no problems, it has plenty of places to hide and you're right about the feeding! Keeping it well fed, I've had not a single casualty - just hours of entertainment from watching it excavate and build - brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crayfish in a community tank ?   Crayfish in a community tank ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crayfish in a community tank ?
Page 1 of 1