UK Freshwater Invertebrate Society Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE UK'S 1ST OFFICIAL FRESHWATER INVERTEBRATE SOCIETY ~ FOUNDED JANUARY 2009

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Portsmouth AS - OPEN FISH SHOW 2013
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:57 am by bungy

» Green Energy
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 pm by Brian950

» Alternative
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm by Brian950

» Looking for green shrimp
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 am by andy36263

» High grade Red Cherry Shrimp - Sakura/Fire Red
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:37 am by bungy

» Looking for Coloured Apple Snails, Briggs
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 am by avaraven

» Shrimp 'Farm' Help
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am by bungy

» Looking for nerites and cherry shrimp
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 am by jecra

» Invertebrate survey on lentic and lotic waters.
What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 am by joe_a

Navigation

Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search 

Snail Shop

Top posters
Megalodonmad
What species do you keep? Vote_lcapWhat species do you keep? Voting_barWhat species do you keep? Vote_rcap 
Severum Boy
What species do you keep? Vote_lcapWhat species do you keep? Voting_barWhat species do you keep? Vote_rcap 
Mister_X
jonboy8465
Kin
mr. luke
Kevin
Ceretrea
Corydoras seracin
three-fingers
Statistics
We have 157 registered users
The newest registered user is Brian950

Our users have posted a total of 454 messages in 129 subjects

What species do you keep?

Go down 
+2
three-fingers
Kevin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kevin
Hatchling
Hatchling

Male Number of posts : 16
Activity Points : 5578
Registration date : 2009-01-22

What species do you keep? Empty
PostSubject: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:19 am

What species of aquatic snail do you keep?

At the moment I keep Pomacea glauca, Neritina natalensis, a ruby nerite, Melanoides tuberculata, Clea (sometimes Anentome) helena, Asolene spixi and an unknown species of Indian trapdoor snail.
Back to top Go down
three-fingers
Hatchling
Hatchling
three-fingers

Male Number of posts : 13
Activity Points : 5570
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Nice collection there! How did you come across the Pomacea glauca?

I'm going to cheat and include 'pest' snails, because I don't consider them pests Very Happy.
For now I have 5 zebra nerites (which are either Neritina (Neritina) natalensis or Neritina (Vittina) coromandeliana) that I don't see very often in my big tank, hundreds of Melanoides granifera in there too, various colour morphs of the usual Planorbarius corneus, a few Lymnea sp., loads of a Physella/Physa sp., hundreds of 'mahogany' Melanoides tuberculata in my shrimp tank, quite a lot of smaller Planorbid snails (that I found in a water bowl in the garden) and a few Hydrobiidae snails of some sort that never seem to do too well.

I've just ordered a bumblebee nerite (Clithon sp.?) for my shrimp tank too Very Happy.

Soon I plan on getting a couple of colourful baby apple snails for my shrimp tank, I had some adults for months until I learnt the hard way that even tiny loaches make short work of apple snails (they leave the nerites alone though).
Back to top Go down
Severum Boy
Severum Boy

Male Number of posts : 52
Activity Points : 5597
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 4:18 am

I have Pomacea glauca too (thanks for them Kevin!), MTS of various species, bumblebee nerites as well as trapdoors, ramshorns and Lymnea in the pond.

I used to have 5 more species of apple snail, but some unforseen problems occured with them...
Back to top Go down
Kevin
Hatchling
Hatchling

Male Number of posts : 16
Activity Points : 5578
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 4:47 am

I got my Pomacea glauca from someone in Germany, they were cb there, from snails originally from Venezuela.

Ive seen bumblebee nerite's in my lfs, they were only around 0.5cm, but very nice snails, I may keep those with Limnopilos naiyanetri. (once I get them)
Back to top Go down
slimeysnail
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 1
Activity Points : 5524
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 1:02 pm

I only have one lonely Golden Apple Snail in my 300litre aquarium- though that is soon to change!! I am totally snail mad, and have always had Giant African Land Snails (for the past 15 years)... lol I know they are not aquatic though. so not appropriate here. Though after having found the snailshop, I have placed an order for some ruby and tiger nerites, and some more different colour morphs of apple snail. Cant wait Smile
Back to top Go down
mr. luke
mr. luke

Male Number of posts : 17
Activity Points : 5502
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 9:22 am

My unusual ones are Brotia cf. 'armata' and an unknown species of blue spotty trapdoor snail native to Malta. (looks like mini mysteries that snailshop where selling a while ago)
Back to top Go down
Severum Boy
Severum Boy

Male Number of posts : 52
Activity Points : 5597
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:45 am

That is interesting, a friend of mine kept something silimar that same to him in some java moss. really nice species that one, if a little small!
Back to top Go down
mr. luke
mr. luke

Male Number of posts : 17
Activity Points : 5502
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 8:44 am

The largest of the origional 3 was around 8mm, but all the ones since then max out at about 5mm
Back to top Go down
Kin
Small Snail
Small Snail
Kin

Male Number of posts : 21
Activity Points : 5078
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 am

Hi.
I love your P. Glauca, they are so nice Smile
I keep Golden Apple Snail, Tiger Nerite, Zebra Nerite, Tylomelania green Sulawesi Elephant and Tylomelania Orange Sulawesi Elephant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What species do you keep?   What species do you keep? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What species do you keep?
Page 1 of 1