UK Freshwater Invertebrate Society Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE UK'S 1ST OFFICIAL FRESHWATER INVERTEBRATE SOCIETY ~ FOUNDED JANUARY 2009

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Portsmouth AS - OPEN FISH SHOW 2013
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 2:57 am by bungy

» Green Energy
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 pm by Brian950

» Alternative
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm by Brian950

» Looking for green shrimp
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:41 am by andy36263

» High grade Red Cherry Shrimp - Sakura/Fire Red
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:37 am by bungy

» Looking for Coloured Apple Snails, Briggs
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 4:23 am by avaraven

» Shrimp 'Farm' Help
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:54 am by bungy

» Looking for nerites and cherry shrimp
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:18 am by jecra

» Invertebrate survey on lentic and lotic waters.
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 am by joe_a

Navigation

Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search 

Snail Shop

Top posters
Megalodonmad
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Vote_lcapRuby Nerite Snail reproduction? Voting_barRuby Nerite Snail reproduction? Vote_rcap 
Severum Boy
Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Vote_lcapRuby Nerite Snail reproduction? Voting_barRuby Nerite Snail reproduction? Vote_rcap 
Mister_X
jonboy8465
Kin
mr. luke
Kevin
Ceretrea
Corydoras seracin
three-fingers
Statistics
We have 157 registered users
The newest registered user is Brian950

Our users have posted a total of 454 messages in 129 subjects

Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
creon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 3
Activity Points : 5554
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Empty
PostSubject: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 8:23 am

Hello.
I have 2 Ruby Nerite Snail's and lately my tank is filled with little white eggs.
The eggs are on the glass on the coconut caves and on some decorations.

I know that Nerite Snail's arent supose to lay eggs.. quote from snailshop
"Nerites have a very complex breeding cycle. This complexity means that these snails will not reproduce in the home aquarium."
But i only have 1 apple snail so it cant breed alone and by the positioning of the eggs its kind of hard for fish to lay eggs there.. for example i even found eggs between the grills of the filter.

Any ideas about them?
I have the eggs for almost 1 month now but i see no change other that a few tend to have a transcluent white color but most of them are milky white.
Back to top Go down
Severum Boy
Severum Boy

Male Number of posts : 52
Activity Points : 5599
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 11:15 am

They are definately Nerite eggs.

I once had an evening to spare a few years ago, so I researched this subject. Below is a copy and paste of what I found:

Quote :
As for the breeding cycle, seeing as its important to say something about it before someone gets upset; it is hard to say for sure exactly what it is because many different species (freshwater, brackish and marine) are sold for aquaria. For now, I will try to deal with Neritina species, the most common freshwater species sold for aquaria. Yes, they are freshwater adult snails, but they are Amphidromous and have marine based larvae that migrate up into streams following a period of organic dispercal (a large flood for instance) where the eggs are washed down with the flood, or the newly hatched larvae are caught in the flow from the river and are swiftly transported into the sea. Once they have grown for a few months, the larvae make their way up a number of different streams to get back to freshwater. To do this succesfully, they need to be able to withstand huge differences in salinity. They could enter a very fast flowing, small stream in which case they would need to change very quickly back to freshwater from marine; or a slow running river could be encountered where it remains brackish for quite a while.

However, due to predation by larger Eleotrid gobies will happily eat small snails, and the gobies are abundant in slower moving waters; so basically, not many Neritina snails make it up these streams, so most dont bother to do so (they instinctivally head for smaller streams). About 80% of the Nerites move up the main channel of the stream, wheras 20% opt for a slower side stream. This preferance for small, fast flowing streams means that they will only spend a little time in brackish water, but time in it will be spend, so they need to be able to adapt to it. Floods also wash larger adults down into the brackish areas, so they have to adapt quickly to survive. This is why they can live in brackish water even though they are freshwater snails, although for long term care freshwater is best. The eggs are laid in freshwater, but travel down into a marine environment where they hatch and move back up into the streams.

So, thats the ecology behind it, now for breeding. The eggs which Neritina snails lay in freshwater aquaria are viable and fine to use for breeding. I would collect a number of these eggs and transfer them to a tank of marine salinity. The babies should hatch. The salinity can then be reduced gradulally after a month or so until by the end, you have some sub adult (maby 7mm long, but thats an educated guess) Neritina snails. There is however one problem: their food. You will need to provide copious amounts of food for the babies as they grow, the soft brown algae that grows in aquaria is the best food for them. This is not easy to do, and I have not heard of anyone raising the larvea.

I hope this clears a few things up.
Back to top Go down
creon
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 6:43 am

Thank you for the info. (though i responded a bit late)

So the problem is basically finding the proper food for the baby snails and that a salt water tank is needed for the eggs to hatch.

If i used a small 5lt or 10lt tank for hatching the eggs would i need a filter in it too?
I was thinking for the feeding of the eggs to put the small tank near a window or in the balcony (during sumer) and in theory algae would grow very fast and provide ample food.
Back to top Go down
Severum Boy
Severum Boy

Male Number of posts : 52
Activity Points : 5599

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 8:50 am

You would need some sort of current, but a fliter would end up doing its job and filtering out the larvae.

A powerhead would be more suitable, but it would then be tricky to keep the water quality up to scratch as you couldent perform any water changes lest you suck the planktonic larvae out.
Back to top Go down
creon
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:53 am

Ok.
Thank you for the info.
Back to top Go down
electrogear
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 2
Activity Points : 5524
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks for the info I have been wondering about this for while. Seems the Nerites are expensive and now I can see why, but I think I'm still going to have a crack at doing it myself. I got dozens of these eggs each day from my Nerites so I have a plentiful supply to be experimenting with. In the meantime I'll keep buying my Nerites from snailshop.co.uk - fantastic site and the best thing is they actually care for their livestock - not like many other shops/sites that just want to see profits and don't care about ethics.
Back to top Go down
Corydoras seracin
Hatchling
Hatchling

Male Number of posts : 14
Activity Points : 5587

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Is it possible to use a Sponge filter, so you don't end up filtering the Larvae?.

You can place a stone in a jar of water on a windowsill in the sun & you'll end up with lots of Algae aroung the stone. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mister_X
Small Snail
Small Snail

Male Number of posts : 24
Activity Points : 5580

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 3:43 am

ahh this explaine the wee white eggs all over my tank ornaments....
the amourous little devils
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?   Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ruby Nerite Snail reproduction?
Page 1 of 1